If you're reading this, I miss you. Read updates about my experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer here, and please send me email updates about your life. Also, add me on Skype so I can see your cute face. Feel free to leave comments!

Monday, September 19, 2011

So what do I actually do here?

The question I am most frequently asked (followed closely by, “Have you seen any animals?,” which other than the chickens, ducks, pigs, and goats of my neighbors is a no). Also a difficult question to answer, as my work as a Peace Corps Volunteer is pretty unstructured.

Generally speaking, I work with 2 small organizations, one community-based organization and one faith-based, in the area of public health. I attend meetings and participate in programs, like home visits or children’s activities. My role is mainly to build capacity; to strengthen both organizations so they can better assist the vulnerable populations in the community. So far, this has meant a lot of organizational development (creating forms, improving meetings, assisting with planning). I also help to train members in various areas (health information, monitoring & evaluation, basic business skills). I hope to culminate this work by helping both organizations to design well-planned projects, apply for funds, and manage the projects effectively. For example, one of my organizations is currently discussing various ideas for an income-generation project for its members (ideas include sewing school uniforms or raising chickens).

Beyond this, I do some other work in the community. I give English lessons and will help students prepare for the high school English national exams. I run a youth group for girls as part of a nationwide program called REDES and hope to take on a very active role on the national level this year. Finally, I spend a lot of time with kids in general, coloring or baking or just hanging out. And if all else fails, I walk around the market, visit people, read, or fulfill my duties as a crazy cat lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment